Judi has been indexing since 1999. She has extensive experience in both individual
and team settings with print, online,
and database indexing. Included among the many projects are:
- Scholarly and technical books
- Software books
- Medical/pharmaceutical materials
- Microsoft Speech Server 2007 (speech recognition software)
- Encarta products
- General interest and trade books
Judi's skills as an
indexer led to an invitation to serve as a grader for the
distance training course offered by the American Society for Indexing.
Judi began her professional life as a librarian (MLS), and her
experience includes reference work in university, engineering,
and medical settings. She has experience with both back-of-the-book and database indexing.
She has indexed a wide
range of materials, including technical books, software manuals, medical and pharmaceutical materials, Microsoft products, scholarly books, and trade publications.
Judi also has extensive experience in writing and editing.
She has produced documentation for clients in healthcare,
electric utilities, commercial aircraft, the nuclear industry,
and commercial food processing. Clients praise
her ability to edit the work of others with sensitivity and precision.
She can shorten documents and increase readability significantly while
retaining technical content.
Writing, Editing, and Indexing as a Contractor and Consultant
- The Write Guru®, Seattle, 1994-present (President)
- Microsoft, Redmond (1999, 2000, 2006)
- King County, Seattle, 1998-1999—simultaneously with Children's Hospital
- Children's Hospital, Seattle, 1998
- Supply System (now Energy Northwest), Richland, 1991, 1992
- Puget Power/Puget Sound Energy, Bellevue, 1990-1991, 2002
- Boeing Support Services, Seattle, 1989
- Westinghouse Hanford Company, Richland,1987, 1989
Writing as a Direct Employee
- Hanford Environmental Health Foundation, Richland (1993-1994)
- UNC Nuclear Industries, Richland (1983-1986)
Reference Librarian (Part-Time)
- Danny Schneller Foundation, Seattle (2000-present)
- Washington State University at Tri-Cities, Richland (1992-1994)
Anthropology Instructor (Part-Time)
- Columbia Basin College, Pasco (1988)
- Master of Library Science—University of Washington
- Bachelor of Arts, Anthropology—University of Washington
- Certificate in Technical Writing and Editing—University of Washington
- In-service courses in occupational health—For example, overview of
occupational pulmonary and skin diseases;
treating internal radionuclide contamination;
and update on blood-borne pathogens
- Technical courses—Engineering physics, calculus, linear algebra,
differential equations, advanced engineering mathematics,
digital design, C programming language.
Columbia Basin College, Pasco, and Tri-Cities University Center
(Currently Washington State University, Tri-Cities Campus), Richland.
- Diversity experience—Travel in Australia, Egypt, Fiji, India, Indonesia,
Italy; Kenya, Malaysia, Mexico, Morocco, Nepal, Papua New Guinea,
Sri Lanka, Thailand, and the United Kingdom. Ongoing interest in
Native American and Native Canadian cultures.